Tuesday 27 September 2011

Music and Me

Childhood: Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers - Abominable Snowman in the Market


I chose this song because as a child it used to be one of my favourite tracks that my dad used to play in the car on his cassette player. I remember dancing and singing along to it with him and the enjoyment of listening to a song that we both loved. At this point in my life I had not yet developed any music taste of my own, so the way I consumed and learnt about music was through my parents.

Pre-teens: Atomic Kitten - Whole Again

I chose this next song as it was reflective of my first music taste: 90s pop music. I was into girl bands such as Destiny’s Child, The Spice Girls and Atomic Kitten. Atomic Kitten’s first album was the first CD I owned and so this seems to be a stepping stone in the development of my interaction with music. At this point I was also developing an interest in more than just the music; I loved the image the girls had and aspired to be like the lead singer, Natasha. I collected the Spice Girls book abut their lives and had a favourite singer in the Spice Girls too: Baby Spice. At this point I wasn't aware of music videos however, so finding this video to the song was the first time I had been aware of it; exciting!
Teenage years- Present

Nowadays I feel much more confident in my music taste and consume over multiple platforms and have a much wider knowledge on genres and branches of my taste. I chose this song as it is one that I have been listening to a lot recently and includes one of my favourite artists at the moment: Eminem. The development from poppy music to rap is quite an extreme one but Eminem’s music really resonates with me. I think that he appeals to the teenage market through his rap about life angst and issues he has. Regardless of what mood I’m in, I can always listen to his work and know all the lyrics to my favourite songs. I consume much more than just the music from artists I like now through research into their past music, their early careers and through the spreading of music via friends interested in similar music to me. Music has become much more defining to me, influencing how I dress and who I hang around with in part.

No comments:

Post a Comment